Honeoye boys to forfeit rest of season
HONEOYE — The Honeoye Bulldogs boys’ basketball season has come to an end well before the sectional brackets are filled out.
Honeoye, who lost in the Class C3 title game last year to York, and was a solid shot for a crown this winter, will forfeit the rest of their season following allegations of player hazing amongst the team.
Head coach Jim Parshall was relieved of his duties. He is not a teacher in the district.
Honeoye, who is currently 11-4 on the season and in the No. 4 spot in Class C3 sectionals, will forfeit their three remaining games against Naples (Feb. 6); Red Jacket (Feb. 8) and Bloomfield (Feb. 12).
The Naples at Honeoye game Tuesday was supposed to determine the Finger Lakes West champion.
Six seniors on the Honeoye varsity squad have been suspended from school for five days.
A parent of one of the seniors on the team is not happy about the punishment that was handed down by the school.
“We are very disappointed,” said Beth Finster, mother to senior starter Cody Finster. “This kind of stuff has been going on for years.”
Finster said the “hazing” was the varsity players pulling members of the JV squad to the back of the bus for “wedgies.”
“This wasn’t meant to hurt anyone,” added Finster. “The varsity kids and the JV kids get along great. There was no drugs, no booze, nothing like that. I don’t believe the punishment fits the crime.”
Finster and her husband Tom, along with other parents of suspended players, met with school principal Michael Meade Tuesday morning to receive the news of the five day out-of-school suspension which will include the canceling of the remaining basketball games.
“The coaches, the athletic director, they all knew this has been going on for years,” said Finster. “If there was something wrong with what they were doing, we should have been all contacted years ago.”